As a six-year veteran of the United States Army, the acronym “MRE” was something I often heard. So, when RECON1’s MRE came to Southern Muscle, it brought back some memories. Ask any veteran, and I guarantee you that they have at least one MRE story. MRE stands for “Meal Ready to Eat.” MREs are prepacked meals filled with over a thousand calories of food. They usually come with a main dish (spaghetti, beef stew, minestrone stew, veggies, etc.), a snack, a packet of instant coffee, a spoon, a napkin, salt, and some hot sauce. They are packed and manufactured in a way that gives them up to a three-year shelf life. These meals are formulated to keep the American soldier nutritionally sustained while training in the field or serving on the battlefield. The protein count is high, the fats are moderate, the carbs are high, and the calories are dense. Regardless of what was going on, we needed real food to sustain us, and a meal replacement shake would not suffice. Real food is what we were created to eat, and nothing fueled us better than real food. Real protein, real carbohydrates, and real healthy fats.
So, when REDCON1 decided to formulate a meal replacement shake like the MREs that sustained members of our military, they chose to use nothing but real, whole foods! The protein comes from beef, chicken, salmon, eggs, brown rice, and peas. That is a protein blend never seen before! Even though you see salmon as a protein source, I promise you there is no fishy taste or smell in this protein powder. As for the carbohydrates in REDCON1’s MRE, they come from rolled oats, dehydrated sweet potato and yams, goji and blueberry powder, coconut water, and pea starch. Lastly, the healthy fats come from MCT oil.
With MRE, you don’t see many of the usual ingredients used in meal replacement powders. No Whey or Soy as a source of protein. Maltodextrin is near the end of the ingredient list (not one of the first things listed). No corn syrup solids or any cheap, low-grade fillers. Instead, REDCON1 uses Pea starch as a filler to make sure this powder can be digestible to almost everyone.
Each four-scoop serving gives you 47 grams of protein, 75 grams of carbohydrate, 8 grams of fiber, and 4 grams of fat. Many of our customers prefer to use only two scoops to keep the carb intake low. Either way (with two or four scoops) you won’t be disappointed when you try MRE! It’s very filling but won’t leave you feeling “stuffed” or bloated. MRE comes in five flavors: Key Lime Pie, Blueberry Cobbler, Dutch Apple Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, and Banana Nut Bread. All three Southern Muscle locations carry every flavor.
Below is the list of ingredients and their nutrient profile. With just a quick review, you can see how much nutrition is packed in each serving of REDCON1’s MRE:
• Rolled Oats – A whole grain source of carbs and fiber that is gluten-free. One thing that makes oats unique is a soluble fiber known as Beta Glucan. Beta Glucans are powerful immune boosters that also helps with lowering blood sugar, ramping up the production of useful gut bacteria, and reducing total cholesterol levels. Oats are rich in 7 different minerals including calcium, manganese, potassium, and iron. They are also high in vitamins B1, B5, and Folate (which are needed for energy production).
- Beef Protein Isolate – High in the amino acids Glycine, Proline, Arginine, and Hydroxyproline. Three out of these four amino acids are great for connective tissue regeneration.
- Salmon Protein – All the protein benefits of salmon, without the fat and fishy taste. It is also a natural source of all the B-Complex vitamins and vitamin D3.
- Chicken Protein – High in 15 out of the 20 most abundant amino acids needed by the human body.
- Egg Albumin – Contains one of the highest digestible proteins known to man. Egg albumin is high in heart-healthy Omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin B1 (Riboflavin), Choline (which is excellent for brain health and fat metabolism), and potassium.
- Brown Rice Protein – The only non-dairy protein powder that contains a high Leucine content comparable to whey protein. It is an excellent alternative to dairy-based protein powders. Brown rice is also a source of antioxidants and has been shown to help reduce oxidative stress in the liver.
- Pea Protein – Pea protein is another favorite among athletes who prefer non-dairy powders. Pea protein is high in BCAA’s, is hypoallergenic, and is easily digested by most people. You almost never hear anyone complain about pea protein causing gas or bloating (a common issue with whey and egg protein).
Dehydrated Yams – High in all the B-complex vitamins, calcium, copper, potassium, and your body’s first line of defense antioxidant known as superoxide dismutase. It is also an excellent source of complex carbohydrates and fiber.
- Dehydrated Sweet Potato – Another excellent source of complex carbs that is high in minerals and the B-complex vitamins like yams. But one thing that separates sweet potato from yams is that sweet potatoes have a higher antioxidant content (especially when it comes to beta-carotene). The high beta-carotene is what gives sweet potatoes their orange color. Beta-carotene is converted into vitamin A in the liver. This makes them a great immune booster.
- Coconut Water powder – High in naturally occurring electrolytes.
- Dehydrated Blueberry and Goji berry – Two of the most antioxidant fruits on the planet! Both fruits are high in vitamin C and other anthocyanins. Both have been shown to help boost energy, balance blood sugar, fight skin aging, and boost immunity.
- MCT Oil – A medium chain fatty acid (that won’t be stored as body fat) that your body uses for energy and brain health.
No meal replacement powder on the market comes anywhere near the nutritional content is in REDCON1’s MRE. Not only that, REDCON1 now has two more options of MRE for you to try! Like the MRE powder, but even two scoops give you more carbs then you like? REDCON1 now has MRE LITE! Each scoop gives you 24 grams of protein, and only 4 grams of carbs. Do you love MRE but can’t always bring the powder and a shaker cup with you? REDCON1 has got you covered again, because MRE now also comes in a meal replacement bar as well!
Whether it’s MRE, MRE LITE, or the MRE bars you want to try, Southern Muscle has one in stock waiting for you!